Thursday, June 14, 2007

New Door Locks on the Bus

So, first things first. The bus had some issues with security when I bought her. The key would not move the lock on the driver's side door; it would only lock using the inside latch. The passenger side door didn't even have a lock cylinder at all, but could also lock from the inside. So, I ordered two new shiny door handles and locks from Wolfsburg West.

As I waited for the new handles to arrive, I tore into the door panels. After removing all the hardware, I carefully pried the aged and brittle door panels off to reveal the nastiest mess. Dirt, leaves, dust, old foam, liquor receipts from a previous owner, and even a couple of hornets nests! The factory plastic sheeting and foam insulation just fell apart in my hands, so that will have to be replaced. But once I got the door locks removed via a couple of screws it turned out that all the mechanisms were so full of crud none of it worked, thus the reason the locks wouldn't work. After hours of scrubbing and soaking the entire units in good ol' WD-40, I finally got them working. I replaced all the hardware and snapped the door panel back on.
When the handles arrived, I fitted them into the door and screwed them in. After a few test runs the interior door locks loosened up and now we can leave our junk in the bus and head out for a hike! Next on the security list is Ava's seat belt install!

No comments: